23/10/2017

HAPPY DEATH DAY ★ | MOVIE REVIEW







Hey Zengarmy,


This movie review is SO OVERDUE BUT HERE I AM SPILLING THE HOT TEA!!!




(if you haven't watched the
trailer yet, please watch it
to save both of us some time)


I guess judging from my two-sentence intro you can already guess that
I am HEAVILY IN LOVE WITH THIS MOVIE. YES! I am always a sucker for
movies with similar plots like Happy Death Day, always! I learned that
Groundhog Day was actually the FIRST EVER movie that came up with
this plot but unfortunately, I've never watched that movie 😂 Instead,
Edge of Tomorrow (starring Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt) was my very
first encounter of this type of plot, where somebody died & revived
repeatedly. I remember re-watching this movie in the cinema for SO
MANYYY TIMES (GOD BLESS MY BANK ACCOUNT) MY FRIEND ACTUALLY
LEGIT THOUGHT I WAS POSSESSED BY A DEMON 😂 Well, looking back
at it now, I was indeed a crazy little bitch back then but I'm slightly
more rational (and wiser!) with my spending habits now. I guess the
main reason why I adore this kind of storyline so much is because
I really enjoy watching the process of somebody reflecting on how
precious "tomorrow" is. When you keep repeating the same day over
and over and over and over again, simple things such as "tomorrow"
made you regret not cherishing them preciously — the emotions that
the character went through while trying to "live another different day"
always affect me more deeply than any other aspects of the movie does.





When I first saw the trailer of this movie, I was honestly unimpressed (mainly because
of the title of the movie), but I still made a mental note to watch it when it comes
out in the cinema — & I'm glad I did! It's not a movie that's trying to win any academy
awards out there, but it certainly managed to successfully deliver humour and horror
in a very fresh, engaging way. I was actually surprised it held back on the gore and
the blood — I mean, don't get me wrong, I was definitely squirming in my cinema
seat with tension during most of the horror scenes of this movie, but there is
definitely a very well-balanced ratio between the humour and horror elements
in this movie, which makes this movie VERY ENJOYABLE TO WATCH. The millennial
references made in this movie made me laughed my heart out. You can tell that
the scriptwriters of this movie didn't try TOO hard to push the humour element
to the audience BUT all the funny lines just hit home to my laughing point SO
DAMN HARD. There are always some movies *ahem* pITch *ahhemm* pErfEcT
*aaahheemmm* that TRY EXTREMELY HARD in producing funny lines, which
10/10 always result in me cringing so hard — and Happy Death Day avoided
all those cringe points for me, which I'm very glad & certainly impressed with!



 Overall, 9.5/10 for Happy Death Day! 

( rating is based on how much I enjoyed watching & engaging with the plot )





For those of you who are wondering
about the humour horror ratio of
this movie, I would rate it at a solid
4 to 6. Whenever you're too scared,
there will always be a funny scene
in the near follow-up, which is very
thoughtful of the director to take
care of both horror and humour
lovers' interests in a balance.







One of the most exciting part of this movie is when us the audience get
to participate in the same journey as the main character Tree (played
by Jessica Rothe) in trying to figure out who is the potential killer that
wants to murder her. It's very interesting because Tree literally has SO
MANY ENEMIES (and also she's not very bright) it would take her forever
to figure out who killed her before she continues to die and revive. As
the search continues, there will be more and more plot twists — both
funny and eerie, waiting for the audience. During the movie, I was fully
engaged & couldn't move my eyes away from the screen because I was
THAT INVESTED. In many ways, I think this movie is parodying those
dumb blonde, one-dimensional characters of college trope characters
and the "last girl" in horror movies because it goes all-in on establishing
the main character as somebody you're meant to hate at first and love at
last. If I write anymore I'm gonna spoil the plot so I'll stop here! The ending
genuinely took me in a direction I didn't anticipate, and then it took me back
to what I was expecting, but did it in a way that I felt fresh. All in all, I had
fun watching this movie, which I think is what this movie was meant to be: Fun.






If you're looking for the perfect movie
to watch on a Halloween date night, 😈
I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND this movie!
You can watch this with your friend, your
lovers, BUT maybe NOT with family (don't
think older people will appreciate all the
millennial joke references made in this
movie hahahah!) All in all, I myself am
currently contemplating whether or
not to watch this movie for the 2nd
time cause I'm THAT OBSESSED! 😭



I think I'm gonna watch it again this weekend.









          
(CLICK TO FOLLOW ALONG & STAY UPDATED)

No comments :

Post a Comment

 photo back to top 1_zpsf8bgncs9.png