20/01/2017

SPLIT (2017) ★ | MOVIE REVIEW







Hey Zengarmy,


It's that time of the month again when I review (yet another) thriller movie &
expose my die-die-also-want-to-watch-even-when-im-scared pet peeve, hehe!
First of all, my apologies for being away from my blog for over a week's time!
I've been BUSYYY with my community service project, which I might blog about
the entire experience some time soon here (but not now). I don't know if you've
noticed, but a lot of movies came out in January this year — and my life went a
little bit chaotic because of that HAHAHAH. Even though I have every intention
to watch every single movie that hits the cinema this month, my brain is still
clear enough to stop me from walking into this bankruptcy trap, FORTUNATELY.






Long story short, after much consideration, I finally (thank GOD) managed to calm my
fucking brain down and boil everything down from 8 must-watch-in-cinema movies 
to 3 im-putting-my-bet-on-you-you-better-be-fucking-good-or-else movies, and,
BELIEVE ME. IT. WAS. A. TOUGH. DECISION. FOR. ME. TO. MAKE. But I'm glad I did.
If you've read my previous blog post, it would take no more than a second for you
to figure out that the first movie I've watched in January is La La Land, hahahaha!
The second one is a movie named Arrival (starring Amy Adams), which I originally
planned to write a review for it but ended up losing my blogging momentum, lol.



But anyways, here are my thoughts on
the movie Arrival, for those who care.


(SHORT REVIEW: Arrival is not your usual sci-fi alien movie, but more of a realistic
point of view of what will REALLY happen if an unknown species landed on Earth
one day. The cinematography is really artsy and aesthetically pleasing. It explores
humanity in a very insightful way — I was particularly touched by the scenes when
people started robbing and killing each other because they thought the world is
ending isn't this WHAT WILL REALLY HAPPEN DURING ALIEN INVASION? Aliens
don't even need to kill off the humans. We will kill among ourselves until the
last person stands, which will then be wiped off by the aliens like a small dust.
However, I do think that some people would possibly be bored by this movie,
as the first half of the movie ascended with quite a slow pace, in my opinion.)


All in all, 8 out of 10 for Arrival.



Moving on to Split, before I forgot what most of you guys came here for hahahah.
I watched this movie last night with my friends, and, not going to sugar-coat any
of my opinion, I was a tad bit disappointed by this movie. I was expecting MORE.
Don't get me wrong — I wasn't saying that this movie is NOT GOOD. IT IS GOOD.
But, here's the "but", I think the trailer of this movie revealed almost 70% of the
plot, which is why I had a "owh, that's it? that's all this movie is?" moment when
I finished watching it. I don't suggest you watching the trailer before the movie,
but if you had accidentally watched it, I do believe that you will still enjoy it,
just not to the extend of ENJOYING IT had you not watched the trailer YET.



Rating : 7 out of 10 for Split.
(that is, if you've watched the trailer beforehand.)







If you haven't watched this movie yet and are planning to watch it anytime soon,
STOP READING THIS POST! ACTIVELY AVOID ANY MOVIE SPOILERS AT ALL COST!
The only thing you should know about this movie is that it doesn't involve any ghosts
(by all means), and it's a thriller story involving a man with Dissociative Identity
Disorder — where there are MORE THAN ONE IDENTITIES LIVING INSIDE HIS MIND!
And honestly, that's all you REALLY need to know.
Do not scroll down unless you've watched the movie!






Despite already knowing ALMOST EVERYTHING in this movie (thanks trailer!),
there are still a few saving grace in this movie that I'm absolutely in love with.
First of all, I love the "scientific part" of this movie that suggests the theory that
people who suffer from psychological disorders might not be weaker than normal
human beings, but instead, more resilient than the average people. I don't know,
it's just so "WOWWWW" to me when Dr. Fletcher said in the movie: "An individual
with multiple personalities can change their body chemistry with their thoughts."



Like, who would have ever thought of it?
I love it when movies provoke thoughts
like these that are fresh and creative!






However, there are parts that are completely illogical & make no sense to me, hahah!
For example, when Kevin (or whoever the identity that's "in the light") describes the
physical appearance of "The Beast" to Dr. Fletcher, it was CLEARLY stated that The
Beast's identity has "longer hair and bigger body". But when the identity of The Beast
kicks in, HE IS STILL FUCKING BALD & HAS EXACTLY THE SAME BODY SIZE AS BEFORE.



I was like: Huh? Simi lanjiao?
Bitch DON'T EVEN try to play with me,
I was paying my attention the entire time!






On the side note, can we all agree that the brief romance between Hedwig & Casey
is one of the highlights in this movie? The kissing scene (even though cringey) is one
of my favorite scenes! James McAvoy's acting was great (you might remember him as
the younger Professor X from the X-Men movie series), but I wasn't particularly awed
by his performance in this movie. Again, not saying that it's bad — he is soooo fucking
talented to be able to portray a character with 24 identities within, but I just wasn't
extremely impressed by it :P However, the female lead Anya Taylor-Joy who played
the role Casey caught my attention. Not only is she pretty (she looks like a hybrid
between Kendall Jenner Hailee Steinfeld!), the character she played is intelligent,
collected, and most of all  full of hidden stories that made her more sophisticated
compared to the two other bimbos who were also kidnapped hahahahaha. The ending
was a bit meh for me, as it doesn't really provide a closure to the plot. It just hangs
there HALFWAY, probably indicating a sequel but I just wasn't living for this kind of
ending (as y'all know I CANNOT EVEN WITH SUSPENDED ENDING!). Maybe it's just me.



Where did Kevin go? Did Casey expose his uncle's sexual assault towards her
to the female officer she was looking at in the end? Who is Mr. Glass?



There are quite a bit of unexplained/unresolved mysteries that bother me
— but sadly not until the extend of making me feeling excited for the sequel.
All I know is if the sequel is about to be dropped in 2018, I wouldn't be bothered.






All in all, Split is a decent movie for me, but I wouldn't actively recommend it
to my friends unless they asked. I blame it on my overly high expectation before
I watched this movie hahah (and the fucking trailer that ruins it all!). I'm overall
loving this movie and the hidden message it's trying to send to the audience —
that it is OKAY TO BE DIFFERENT, that sometimes, being broken makes you a
stronger, more intelligent person (compared to the bimbos who died eventually).
I cried a tiny bit in the end when The Beast saw the scars on Casey's body and
said: "All the broken ones are evolved." (or something along the line I cannot
for the hell of my life recall the sentence). It's just a BEAUTIFUL MESSAGE
that reminds all of us that being mentally (or physically) ill doesn't make you
LESSER than others  most of the time, you ended up being more resilient.



I love how I ended this post with a super deep life message hahahahah.
Let me know your thoughts in the comments!
I shall see you in my next post very soon!









        
(CLICK TO FOLLOW ALONG & STAY UPDATED)

No comments :

Post a Comment

 photo back to top 1_zpsf8bgncs9.png